Virginia Commonwealth University

Make it real.

Orientation Information

Select a topic for more information:

Change of Major

If you want to change your major before attending New Student Orientation, an e-mail must be sent to the Office of Admissions at stating your full name, date of birth, the program that you were admitted into and the new program for which you wish to be considered.   If you have already registered for an orientation session, visit to select a new orientation session for your new major. You may select your new session only after your change of major has been processed by the Office of Admissions, which usually takes 24-48 hours.

If you wish to change your major after attending the New Student Orientation, visit the Student Services Center. Be sure to read and review procedures for changing your academic programs and complete the Change of Major/Concentration/Minor form PDF and submit it to the Office of Records and Registration in person at 827 W. Franklin St. or by mail to P.O. Box 842520, Richmond, Va. 23280.

Please be advised that certain programs — including those in the schools of the Arts, Business, Education, Mass Communications and the Bachelor of Interdisciplinary Studies program — may require a candidate to fulfill additional requirements before authorization into a program is granted.

Back to Top


While attending Orientation, most students will have the opportunity to eat at Shafer Court Dining Center, an all-you-care-to-eat facility.  Shafer Court Dining Center features multiple options that are sure to meet any of your dietary needs.  There will also be opportunities for you to purchase snacks at various other on-campus vendors.

Have you purchased your dining plan yet?  You can enroll in a dining plan on-line. Please note that some housing plans require a dining plan. If you have dietary or religious constraints, please assess and contact VCU Dining Services before selecting housing.  Specific questions concerning Dining Services can be directed to (804) 828-1148.

Back to Top


First-year students attending a two-day Orientation program will be housed in Brandt Residence Hall.  You will have the opportunity to select a roommate for the night during Orientation.  You should bring your own linens (sheets, pillow, blanket, towels, etc.) with you to Orientation as these items are not provided.  Bedrooms in Brandt Hall are furnished with low-loft twin extra-long (36″ x 80″) beds; two dressers, two desks, two chairs and two closets. Living rooms in Brandt Hall are furnished with a sofa and a side table. Rooms are not carpeted.  Brandt Hall features 24-hour security and is air-conditioned.

Have you signed up for on-campus housing?  Questions concerning on-campus residence hall accommodations or housing assignments should be directed to Residential Life and Housing at (804) 828-7666 or visit

Questions concerning off-campus living may be directed to Off-Campus Student Services at (804) 828-7205 or e-mail

Back to Top


All full-time students are required by law to submit immunization records to University Student Health Services. We request that you submit your records prior to the first day of classes at VCU.  You can read a list of required immunizations in the Undergraduate Bulletin or your Handbook for Admitted Students.  In addition to the state requirements listed in these publications, a passed amendment to Virginia law requires that full-time entering students also be immunized prior to enrollment against meningococcal disease.

Do not send your immunization records to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions; do not submit your immunization record with any of your other required paperwork.  For convenience, you may turn your immunization records in to the Student Health Services office during New Student Orientation. Please keep a copy of your immunization records for yourself.

For more information, including a copy of the immunization record form, visit the Student Health website.

Back to Top

International Students

All international students are required to attend New Student Orientation in addition to a special orientation program hosted by the Global Education Office.  International students should contact the Global Education Office for information specific to International Student Orientation. Only international students deemed eligible for class registration by the Global Education Office will be able to attend New Student Orientation. Please direct any questions to Amanda Velez at or call (804) 828-8471.

Back to Top


First-year and transfer students who have been admitted by VCU to begin classes in the upcoming year will receive an invitation to attend orientation via U.S. mail.  The orientation invitation you receive in the mail will outline the online reservation process required to secure an orientation date and will offer additional program information needed in planning your visit to campus.

Register for New Student Orientation

Back to Top

Special Accommodations

VCU is committed to a policy of providing services on a non-discriminatory basis and of equal access for all students. If you need special accommodation because of a disability, please call Office of Disability Support Services at (804) 828-2253.

To request disability accommodations during New Student Orientation, you must email your request to the Office of New Student Programs at no less than one week prior to your orientation session. The Office of New Student Programs cannot guarantee accommodations that are not requested in advance.

Back to Top

Transfer Credit

The Transfer Center at VCU is responsible for evaluating all academic transfer credit and providing VCU course equivalencies. In addition, CEEB Advance Placement Tests, CLEP, dual credit, and other testing programs will also be considered for transfer credit. The evaluation is posted to the student’s eServices after the student has accepted an offer of admission to VCU. This evaluation will be used as part of the advising and registration process at VCU.

If accepted to the School of the Arts, transcripts are evaluated and art course equivalencies are determined by the School of the Arts.

Back to Top