Students must sign in and sign out when using tutoring services. By tracking the services that are used, we can better assist our students.
The Campus Learning Center offers two types of tutoring:
- Individual one-hour sessions with a peer tutor
- Students can take advantage of appointment tutoring one hour per week, per subject, for up to two subjects
- Appointments must be made two days in advance
- Recurring appointments are available after the first session
- Students are seen on a first-come, first served basis
- Not an individual tutoring session
- Students can utilize this service as many times per week as needed
- Drop-in tutoring works best when used with appointment tutoring
When coming in for tutoring the first time each semester all students are required to read and sign a tutee contract. Please read below to learn more about these expectations and responsibilities.
My responsibilities as a tutee are:
- Be a registered VCU student seeking assistance with a VCU course that you are currently enrolled in.
- Not to miss more than two (2) tutoring sessions.
o After the second “no-show,” my appointment tutoring services will be suspended for the remainder of the semester until I have met with the Assistant Director if I wish to have this privilege reinstated.
- Arrive on time for every scheduled tutoring appointment.
o Tutors are able to depart if you have not arrived after a 20 minute period has elapsed, and your scheduled appointment will be considered a no-show.
- Notify the CLC front desk at 827-8108 of a cancellation at least 24 hours in advance Monday through Thursday 8am-8pm, Friday 8am-5pm, and Sunday 3-8pm. The CLC is closed on Saturday. If you call before or after the hours listed, your phone call will not be received as we do not have voicemail.
- Be aware that the CLC does not allow students to cancel recurring weekly appointments on short notice if it is done on a frequent basis. Students will be contacted by the Assistant Director if this becomes a problem.
- Bring all necessary materials to each tutoring session, including textbooks, class notes, laptop (if you need to work with a particular software program), and any previous tutoring assignments.
- Attend all classes and take notes during class.
- Prepare for tutoring with questions and completed assignments.
o Tutors are not able to assist with take-home exams, quizzes and other graded assignments in accordance with the VCU Honor Code. “On my honor, I have neither given nor received aid on this assignment, and I pledge that I am in compliance with the VCU Honor System.
- Sign in and out on the computer for each session, including drop-in tutoring sessions.
- Request tutoring appointments two (2) days in advance, Monday-Friday and Sunday only. Inform the tutor that you would like to make recurring appointments after your first appointment with a tutor. If you schedule a recurring weekly appointment, you must attend every week. If you cancel two consecutive weeks, then the recurring appointment will be canceled by the CLC unless you contact us otherwise.
- Be respectful and courteous of other students and tutors in the room.
- Contact the CLC immediately at 827-8108 or Jennifer Lee (Assistant Director) at firstname.lastname@example.org if problems occur with tutoring.
My rights as a tutee are:
- To receive free tutoring through individual appointments and during drop-in tutoring hours.
- Work with a trained tutor to assist with learning strategies and course content I do not understand.
- Ask questions of the tutor until I understand the subject matter.
- To receive assistance with appointment tutoring one hour per week per subject for up to two (2) subjectsand utilize drop-in tutoring as needed.
- Attempts to violate the one hour per week per subject for up to two (2) subjects policy is considered academic dishonesty and is a violation of the VCU honor code. As a result of this violation, your appointment tutoring privileges will be suspended for the remainder of the semester and you will be reported to the Office of Student Conduct and Academic Integrity. Please speak with your tutor about exceptions to this policy.
- To have these rights unless I do not meet my responsibilities as a tutee.
About Our Tutors
All tutors at the Campus Learning Center are upper-class students who have earned an “A” or “B” in the classes they tutor. Tutoring is offered in subjects ranging from accounting to zoology.