Service-learning at VCU is a course-based experience that takes students outside of the classroom and off campus to interact with, learn about,and benefit the greater Richmond community.
Typically, a service-learning course requires a minimum of fifteen hours of service with selected nonprofit and community-based organizations, or schools.
Course lessons and materials are enhanced through hands-on application and first-person experience. The agencies benefit directly from the volunteer effort and broadened exposure to their areas of interest. Student benefits include:
- first-hand experience in possible fields of study and work
- a greater appreciation for diverse backgrounds and life situations
- a solidification of what they value
- a recognition of their potential to positively influence the world around them
- practice with practical professional skills
Here’s what some of our former students have said: