Admission into a dental hygiene program is based on scholastic record, demonstrated aptitude and interest and a personal interview conducted by the departmental admissions committee. Students apply to the professional program on the Medical campus through Undergraduate Admissions (www.ugrad.vcu.edu/apply/apply_mcvcampus.html) in the spring of the year preceding the year of desired admission. For example a student planning to start the program in fall 2013 should apply in spring 2013.
- Admissions requirements
- Additional requirements
- Application information
- Volunteer hours and health care experience
- DENS 101
- The Pre-Dentistry Club @ VCU
Pre-requisite course work
ALL pre-requisite coursework needs to be completed by end of spring semester of the desired year of admission. NO pre-requisite coursework during the summer – no exceptions! Elective or other courses (non required) can be taken during the summer. Please consult the VCU Bulletin for more information about pre-requisites or visit VCU’s Dental Hygiene department.
- Admission to the program is based on scholastic record, demonstrated aptitude and interest and credential review conducted by the department admissions committee.
- For more information, including please visit the department’s website
- Admission to the program is based on scholastic record, demonstrated aptitude and interest, and a credential review conducted by the department admissions committee.
- Two years of prerequisites with a minimum or 60 semester hours are required.
- Grades of “C” or better in all pre-requisite courses.
- Science courses must be completed within six years of matriculation.
- A minimum grade-point-average of 2.5 based on a four-point scale in the cumulative courses, and a minimum GPA of 2.7 in the math/science and designated prerequisite courses is required for admission.
- The dental hygiene program is competitive. About 25 students are accepted each year.
- The 5-year GPA average GPA (on a 4.0 scale) has been:
- For information about GPA; English Language proficiency, TOEFL; IELTS ; Criminal Background Check (CBC) and answers to frequently asked questions, visit
Applicants apply and submit documentation electronically using the American Dental Education Association (ADEA) Dental Hygiene Centralized Application Service (DHCAS). The electronic portions of the application procedures (including letters of reference) must be submitted no later than midnight on February 15.
Review and understand all information provided on the Division of Dental Hygiene website for in-depth information on the admissions process.
Volunteer hours are not required for admittance to the dental hygiene program. As a dental hygiene student, you will participate in several hours of volunteer/community service work. It is always a benefit to have some volunteer/work experience. It is recommended that students get some experience working in a dental office so they can learn more about the profession prior to making application.
Following review of admission credentials, some applicants may require an interview with the admissions committee. If an interview is needed, the department will contact you. Applicants are notified of committee decisions at the earliest possible date.
Each spring the VCU School of Dentistry offers a one-credit course, DENS 101 Introduction to Dentistry. The course introduces undergraduates to the field of dentistry and helps them gain practical exposure to the field while pursuing pre-requisite course work. It is recommended that pre-dental students take this course in their freshman year or the spring semester directly after transfer into VCU.
The Dental Club @ VCU is a student-run organization that assists students in the dental school application process by exposing them to the dental profession, as well as sponsoring events and programs to help students in the application process. Events include presentations from deans of admission and trips to dental schools to tour facilities and meet with faculty and students. Visit the club’s Web site to find out how to get involved.
- Virginia Dental Hygienists’ Association(VDHA)
- American Dental Hygienists’ Association (ADHA)
- American Association of Dental Examiners (AADE)
- American Dental Association (ADA)
- American Dental Education Society (ADEA)
- American Student Dental Association (ASDA)
- VCU School of Dentistry
- GPA statistics for US dental schools for recent years
- The Dental Students Network
- International Association for Dental Research (IADR)
- SDN (Student Doctor Network)
- National Dental Association (NDA)
- National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research (NIDCR)
- Virginia Academy of General Dentistry
- Virginia Board of Dentistry
- Virginia Dental Association